Implementation Plan of “Studying in Wuhan University - Academic Freshman Scholarship"
In order to assist Wuhan University to achieve the goals of the "Double First-class" construction and the "14th Five-Year Plan" internationalization construction and attract more outstanding international students to study in Wuhan University, “Studying in Wuhan University - Academic Freshman Scholarship" is hereby set up according to the implementation measures of “Scholarship for Foreign Students Studying in Wuhan University”.
I. Quota of scholarships and recipients
The annual quota of scholarships is 100 students, including 80 bachelor degree students and 20 master & PhD students. Those students who have received scholarships from the Chinese government or other organizations, such as the scholarships provided by the Chinese government, the Confucius Institute, the foreign governments, the foreign enterprises, the Chinese enterprises, etc., are not allowed to apply for this scholarship; only those freshmen who study in China at their own expenses will be sponsored.
The finally published quota of "Studying in Wuhan University - Academic Freshman Scholarship", and the coverage, levels and reward criteria of the freshman scholarship will be dynamically adjusted in consideration of the specific operation situation each year.
II. Method and time of application
The applicant can submit the application at the admission website of School of International Education of Wuhan University (http://admission.whu.edu.cn) during the time period from March 5 to May 20 each year.
III. Eligibility criteria
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
1. The basic eligibility criteria for recruitment of bachelor degree students and master & PhD students by Wuhan University are published on the admission website of School of International Education of Wuhan University (http://admission.whu.edu.cn).
2. Language requirements:
Master & PhD degree
Master & PhD degree
HSK Level IV
HSK Level V
HSK Level IV
HSK Level V
TOEFL ESSIENCIALS B2, IELTS 6.5
HSK Level IV and
TOEFL 85, TOEFL ESSIENCIALS B2, IELTS 6.5
Non-medical applicants whose mother tongue is Chinese or have previous degrees in Chinese can be exempted from HSK certificate if certified by Wuhan University.
Applicants whose mother tongue is English or have previous degrees in English can be exempted from English proficiency certificate if certified by Wuhan University.
3.Course academic achievement:
Grade B or higher in high school
GPA 3.0 or higher in bachelor degree
GPA 3.0 or higher in master degree
4. Academic level: To be determined by the tutor. It is recommended to conduct a comprehensive evaluation on the applicant according to his/her previous research topic and publication of papers.
IV. Scholarship criteria
RMB 8,000/ person for PhD students; RMB 6,000 / person for master students; RMB 4,000 / person for bachelor degree students. This scholarship is a one-time scholarship and will be provided after the freshman completes his/her registration for the first semester.
V. Application documents
1. Copy of passport home page and copy of the visa issued by Chinese embassies (if available);
2. Notarized proof of the highest academic degree, and the Chinese and English translation documents of the text not written in Chinese and English;
3. Proof of language proficiency (such as HSK certificate, IELTS, TOEFL transcript, etc.);
4. Notarized transcript of the highest academic degree, and the Chinese and English translation documents of the text not written in Chinese and English;
5. Personal statement (must be provided by the bachelor degree program applicants, at least 500 words) and research plan (must be provided by the master or doctoral degree program applicants, at least 800 words for master degree program applicants or at least 1,200 words for doctoral degree program applicants), written in Chinese or English;
6. The bachelor degree program applicants must provide the recommendation letter from the principal of his/her senior high school; the master degree program applicants must provide recommendation letters from two professors or associate professors (one of them shall be a tutor in Wuhan University), written in Chinese or English;
7. Copy of Physical Examination Record for Foreigner (uniformly printed by the Chinese health and quarantine department), written in English. As the results of the examination will keep valid for 6 months, the applicant should determine the time for the examination based on this;
8. Financial Certification/Bank Statement (5,000 USD or above);
9. Certificate of No Criminal Record (applicants who have any learning experiences in China should provide evidence of their academic performance from their previous institutions);
10. Other supporting documents (such as award certificates, scientific research achievements, participation in research, etc.).
VI. Selection of major
The applicant can select his/her desired major at the admission website of School of International Education of Wuhan University (http://admission.whu.edu.cn).
VII. Review and admission
1. School of International Education of Wuhan University will conduct the preliminary review of the documents submitted by the applicant;
2. The applicant who passes the preliminary review will receive an academic assessment conducted by the Institute in question;
3. School of International Education will organize experts to select applicants who have passed the academic assessment;
4. The Overseas Students Admission Leadership Group of School of International Education will review and approve the final list of scholarship recipients;
5. School of International Education of Wuhan University will publish the admission list of “Studying in Wuhan University -- Academic Freshman Scholarship” before June 30 year on its website (http://admission.whu.edu.cn). Meanwhile, the Admission Notice and the Visa Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (JW202 Form) will be also sent to the applicants.
This Plan shall be interpreted by School of International Education of Wuhan University and shall take effect from April 15, 2023.
School of International Education
March 29, 2023