How do I get my student visa to China?
Once admitted, you will receive the university’s letter of admission and JW202 form. The applicant can apply for X visa at Chinese Embassy or Consulate General in your home country.
When applying for your visa, please remember to take along with you your valid passport, the original copy of the university’s admission notification and a Visa Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (also known as the JW201/JW202 form). Do make sure that your letter of admission and your JW202 form is handed back to you together with your passport after obtaining your Chinese visa. You will need these documents to apply for your Residence Permit after your arrival at the university.
International Students who will be studying in China for more than 6 months are required to obtain a Student Visa, also termed as ‘X’ Visa.
Important: The Student Visa/ ‘X’ Visa will only be valid for 30 days after your arrival. You must apply for a Residence Permit within these 30 days in order to obtain a legal status in China at Wuhan Municipal Public Security Bureau.
You are not encouraged to arrive in China when your have less than 10 days remaning on your visa. Furthermore, you are not eligible to apply for a Residence Permit until you are a registered student of Wuhan University, namely before the day of registration.
Visa for Studying in China
International students studying in China must possess ordinary passports with either study visa (Category X) or visiting visa (Category F). International students entering China with other types of visas must promptly transfer into study visas.
International students with study visa (Category X) shall apply for Residence Permit within 30 days after arrival in China. Late applicants will have to shoulder the responsibilities for the delay and overdue fine. The following documents are required for the application of the residence permit:
1. Passport (Original)
2. Residence Permit Application Form
3. Residence Permit Interview Record
4. Copy of Passport (Photo page, Entry- page and Entry Date page)
5. Registration Form for Residence
6. Admission Notice
7. JW201/202Form (Visa Application Form)
8. Physical Examination Report issued by HUBEI INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL HEALTHCARE CENTER (#453 Luoshi Rd, Hongshan District, Wuhan City)
9. Certificate issued by Student Affair, Office (Office 103) or Administration Office for Foreign Medical Student,
10. 2 Photos, (2 inches)
11. RMB 400 (for12 months, Residence Permit)
1. Apply item 2 & 3 at Students Affairs Office (103) or Administration office for Foreign Medical students.
2. For student resident inside the dormitory of WHU, apply item 5 at life CIA, Administration Office (Office 4-101) .r Administration office for Foreign Medical Students directly; for students resident outside campus, apply item 5 at local police station with relevant documents issued by Student Affairs Office (office 103) or Administration Office for Foreign Medical Students
3. Apply item 6 &7 at admission Office (Office, 101)
4. Students who obtained Physical Examination Report from their home country also NEED to go to HUBEI INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL HEALTHCARE CENTER to verify their report
5. The address for Wuhan Municipal Public Safety Bureau Exit-Entry Administration Department (PSBAD Immigration Office) is:
Hankou Branch (For New Residence Permit Application) #117, Jinqiao Ave. Jiangan District , Wuhan City
WUCHANG Branch (For New Residence Permit Extension Only):
East Lake Development Zone Administration Building
The Registration Form of Temporary Residence issued by the local police station or the international apartment concerned. Students living in the apartment on-campus will get the form at the general reception on Floor 1, Zijing Building 19, Student Administrative Office (Room 2128) of Wuhan University.
Students transferred from other university / college in China should also provide the Letter of Transfer issued by the previous university / college.
Students holding F visa do not need to apply for the Residence Permit, but should apply for extension of visa before the expiration of visa validity.
International students holding valid residence permits may go abroad or to the regions of Hong Kong, Macao, or Taiwan, and re-enter China Mainland without re-entry visas.
Students with F visa must first submit their re-entry applications at the College of Foreign Students Education of Wuhan University 10 days before their leaving the Chinese mainland. Re-entry visas are to be issued by the Wuhan Municipal Public Security Bureau (the Visa Center) with the following documents: the Visa and Residence Permit Application Form obtained from College of Foreign Students Education of Wuhan University, valid passport, the Admission Notice of Wuhan University, Visa Application for Study in China (JW201 or JW202 Form), one passport-size photo, and the original of the Registration Form of Temporary Residence issued by the local police station or the international apartment in concern.
Extension of Visa and Residence Permit
International students should pay attention to the validity of their residence permits and entry visas and make proper arrangement for extensions if necessary. The overdue fines caused by expiration of validity of residence permits or entry visas should be born by offender. The international students expected to continue their study at Wuhan University after the expiration of their residence permits or F visa should apply to College of Foreign Students Education of Wuhan University for extension of validity of these documents 10 days before the expiration date. (Self-financing students shall pay tuition before confirming the extension of their residence permits or visas. The extension in need should be processed before the end of the semester). Then the students should submit all the required documents, including the Visa and Residence Permit Application Form obtained from the College of Foreign Students Education of Wuhan University, valid passport, and one passport-size photo, to the Wuhan Municipal Public Security Bureau (the Visa Center) for the granting of extension. For extension of F visa, the Admission Notice of Wuhan University, the Application Form of Study in China (JW201 or JW202 Form) and the copy of the Registration Form of Temporary Residence issued by the local police station or the international apartment in concern are also required.